[erlang-questions] Speeding-up escript's starting time

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Sat Mar 20 17:19:08 CET 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 2:31 AM, zabrane Mikael wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I've an "escript" command used for batch processing.
> Each time a "data" appears in a special directory, this "escript" command
> handle it (apply some tranformations on it ...).
> I've noticed that my escript's "starting time" isn't fast enough and I'm
> wondering if there's a way to gain some speed.
>
> N.B: the only constraint here is to use this "escript" command and nothing
> else.

Have you tried measuring how much of the startup time is in
hostname lookup? I was able to shave off a whole second just
by configuring ERL_INETRC to use the hosts file 1st on one
particular system where I had quite noticeable startup
delays.

Also try
-connect_all false
as a test.

On my Linux machines the VM usually starts up fast enough to
be negligible when used via escript.