[erlang-questions] advices for itanium compilation

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Thu Mar 4 13:59:18 CET 2010

Angel Alvarez writes:
 > El Miércoles, 3 de Marzo de 2010 21:21:52 Mikael Pettersson escribió:
 > > Angel <clist@REDACTED> wrote:
 > > > Some mates allowed me to play with erlang on a 16 CPU SGI
 > > > itanium with Red Hat Advanced server (SGI propack something).
 > > >
 > > > where can i pick a suitable rpm for this beast?
 > > >
 > > > Can i rebuild a normal source rpm for Redhat AS on itanium or i have to
 > > > make some croscompile...?
 > >
 > > That box should be plenty powerful enough to build Erlang natively
 > > without any cross-compilation. As for src rpms, RH AS is AFAIK fairly
 > > old so I wouldn't expect a src rpm tuned for e.g. Fedora to work as-is.
 > >
 > > Why not just download the otp_src tarball, unpack it, and build it
 > > normally? (./configure; make)
 > >

 > I managed to compile the tarball... but now it cant detect the cpu topology.
 >
 > erl
 > Erlang R13B04 (erts-5.7.5) [source] [64-bit] [smp:12:12] [rq:12] [async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]
 >
 > Eshell V5.7.5  (abort with ^G)
 > 1> erlang:system_info(cpu_topology).
 > undefined

I'm assuming this runs RHEL 4 AS, in which case it's a 2.6.9-based kernel.
Most likely that kernel doesn't present any cpu topology, or does it in a way
incompatible with the /sys parsing code in erts/lib_src/common/erl_misc_utils.c.
(Welcome to the /sys unstable ABI.)

If it was me I'd upgrade the kernel ASAP to something less ancient, but I'm
assuming you don't have the option to do that.

 > 2>
 >
 > this machine has 6 bricks with two itanium 2 cpus per brick, but i cant figure how to spec the layout...
 >
 > L0c0p0,L1c0p1N0:L2c0p0,L3c0p1N1:L4c0p0,L5c0p1N2:L6c0p0,L7c0p1N3:L8c0p0,L9c0p1N4:L19c0p0,L11c0p1N5
 >
 > this gets nothing...

I can't help you with that one.