[erlang-questions] Guards on assignment (i.e. assertions)

Nicholas Frechette zeno490@REDACTED
Mon Mar 1 21:50:25 CET 2010

You could easily make a user space assert macro. One that can optionally
take a message to print out as well on failure, and you could compile it out
in opt (non-debug) builds (courtesy or the erlang preprocessor)

Something like:
?ASSERT(B > C when is_integer(B), "Bad value for B"),

ASSERT would then be trivial to write using preprocessor stringifier.
-define(ASSERT(Guarg, Str), case true of Guard -> ok; _ -> io:format(Str)
end).

Not tested obviously but you get the idea.