Problems cross compiling: eheap_alloc: Cannot reallocate 3480006320 bytes of memory

Winston Smith smith.winston.101@REDACTED
Fri Jan 29 22:22:17 CET 2010

Trying to run a cross compiled version of R13B03 on an AVR32-Linux
system (NGW100/buildroot-2.3.0) I get the following:

/home/avr32 # erl

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
eheap_alloc: Cannot reallocate 3480006320 bytes of memory (of type "heap").
Aborted

I've had this working before (I think with R13B01) but I've since
upgraded my build host from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10.  I actually had this
same issue originally, and I somehow solved it, but I can't for the
life of me remember what I did.  I am setting up an xconf file with
the proper values for size_t, off_t, big endian etc; in fact I based
my build script on Brian Zhou's script for building Erlang on NSLU2
Linux:

http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/optware/trunk/make/erlang.mk

Any thoughts on where to start debugging/diagnosing this?  (the
embedded gdb doesn't work)  Is the erl_crash.dump useful (and how do I
interpret it!)?

Many thanks in advance!