[erlang-questions] Yaws

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Wed Jan 13 06:15:06 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Henning Diedrich <hd2010@REDACTED>wrote:

> Steve Vinoski wrote:
>
>> I'd like to read Thomas's answer to your question, but I'd also like to
>> understand why you're even asking it -- why do you feel mochiweb would be
>> better than yaws for this application?
>>
> Sure: because my take had been that mochiweb was clearly a lower level
> approach, presumably more direct, offering more control, with less overhead?
> That may be wrong, I test drove both only briefly and did not plumb their
> depths.

I'm not sure that's a fair characterization. As Bob said in his response,
Yaws provides some higher-level services that may have been a good fit for
Thomas's use case, but that doesn't necessarily mean it adds needless
overhead to the base case or that it lacks direct control.

> But I had made up my mind to start out using mochiweb for our stuff for
> said reasons. And was wondering what was behind the decision at Thomas'
> company.

At the end of the day, I'm very glad to see anyone using either mochiweb or
yaws (or any other Erlang web server for that matter), because it ultimately
enhances the Erlang community and development ecosystem. But as someone who
works on yaws and also uses it for my own applications (which btw are very
low-level as far as web applications go), I'm always interested in learning
not only what people are doing with it but also why others choose not to use
it.

thanks,
--steve