long sender side delays when sending to an external node

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Fri Feb 26 12:54:20 CET 2010

Hi,

I have a situation where
    {mbox, other_node} ! {self(), ok}
is taking a very long time (8-12 seconds!). That is, the sender is actually
blocked in the ! for that time.

Anyone have any ideas why such a thing might happen?

The other_node is a jinterface Java Node on the same machine, that creates
the named Mbox and then receives messages.

This is using R12B-5 running on Windows 2003 Server, so I wouldn't be
surprised if the OS is getting in the way. But other potential culprits
could be virus checking SW. But I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Does anyone have any pointers for avenues of investigation?

Thanks,
Robby

PS I previously started a thread where I mistakenly thought an after clause
wasn't timing properly. Additional logging told it's the send that's chewing
the time not the receive.