[erlang-questions] debugging remote node

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Fri Feb 26 09:59:52 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 23:21, Scott Lystig Fritchie
<fritchie@REDACTED> wrote:
> Vlad, could you be a bit more specific about what you're trying to do?
> Things like the shell's built-in function "nl(ModuleName)." don't
> require ModuleName.beam to sit on all machines, IIRC.  It just needs to
> be accessible by & loaded into the node that is executing the shell.

It's not really my use case, I'm just forwarding a question i got, so
I might not get all details right.

I can load and run code on a remote node and it executes just fine.
The problem is that if I start the debugger and set a breakpoint, it's
getting activated only if the remote node shares filesystem with the
local machine. Looking at the debugger code, I see that the
interpreter uses read_file to load the code to interpret, which would
explain the behaviour.

What I'd like to know is if there is something I missed or do wrong
and this can be made to work in all cases, or if there's a built-in
limitation of the debugger (which would be useful to document).

> On a maybe-related, maybe-not-related topic, I've become a big, big fan
> of the "redbug" package for tracing on both local and remote nodes.
> (Ask Google Code for the source's location.)

Thanks, I know, I use it too sometimes.

regards,
Vlad