[erlang-questions] Why it is a illegal guard expression?

Michael Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Wed Feb 24 04:48:41 CET 2010

There is a very limited list of which functions can be used in guard
expressions.  From
http://www.erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/expressions.html#id2273702 we
have:

The set of valid guard expressions (sometimes called guard tests) is a
> subset of the set of valid Erlang expressions. The reason for restricting
> the set of valid expressions is that evaluation of a guard expression must
> be guaranteed to be free of side effects.

We also find a list of functions which can be used in guard expressions
there.

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.