[erlang-questions] Information Theory encoding algorithms library in erlang

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sun Feb 21 16:21:10 CET 2010

I'm not aware of a single collection of several such algorithms though
I have seen
huffman etc in Erlang.

Huffman was used in some paper to illustrate use of Erlang bit fields.

I implemented gamma encoding at:

http://github.com/joearms/elib1/blob/master/lib/src/elib1_gamma.erl

This was taken straight out of Witten, Moffat and Bells's book
"Managing Gigabytes"
- this book is BTW - an excellent source for compression algorithms.
It would be nice
to implement all the compression algorithms in MG and put them into a
single library.

Erlang bit field matching makes this kind of code pretty simple - it
would be very nice
to see reference implementations in Erlang (and of error correction
codes, fountain codes anyone :-)

Cheers

/Joe