[erlang-questions] Re: Will parameterized modules become an official part of Erlang?

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Sat Feb 20 16:14:56 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Steve Davis
<steven.charles.davis@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Most of the parameterized modules I have written have evolved in my code to
> become un-parameterized modules; either by evolving into standard functional
> modules where the additional arguments are passed in, or gen_servers where
> the state is maintained in the process. In these cases, my experience of
> having parameterized modules in my code has convinced me to remove them as
> the application codebase matured.
>
> The few remaining parameterized modules that I use also use the process
> dictionary in addition and so are side-effect monsters waiting to happen. I
> currently expect that these remaining parameterized modules will also
> disappear in due course into gen_server processes.
>
> As a result of this experience, my opinion on parameterized modules is that
> currently that I really shouldn't use them and that, in the end, my code is
> probably better off without them.

Richard's paper
http://www.erlang.se/workshop/2003/paper/p29-carlsson.pdf
reveals the rationale behind param'ed modules.