Re: [erlang-questions] extrange output of  on erlang

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Sun Feb 7 23:45:07 CET 2010

On Feb 8, 2010, at 3:29 AM, Angel wrote:
> Fixed-size array: get:    11586µs, set:    24969µs
> Extensible array: get:    11586µs, set:    23787µs
> Tuple:            get:     1223µs, set:   491196µs
> Tree:             get:     9480µs, set:   101000µs
> ok
>

> I cant explain where that strange  come... (tested on openSUSE 11.2
> Konsole)
>
> Anyone can tell me what's wrong on my machine???

The program is writing UTF-8 but the terminal emulator is expecting
Latin 1.  The micron character is U+00b5, or
	0000 0000 1011 0101
               xxx xxyy yyyy
which will be encoded in UTF-8 as
	1100 0010 1011 0101
            x xxxx   yy yyyy
or C2 B5, and C2 just happens to be Â.  The result is that any
Latin 1 character in the range 80 to BF will display with an
extra Â.  Characters in the range C0 to FF get an extra à instead.

You must either make the program generate Latin 1,
or the terminal accept UTF-8.  Read the Konsole documentation to
find out how to select the character encoding.