[erlang-questions] Output from programs started with open_port

黃耀賢 (Yau-Hsien Huang) g9414002.pccu.edu.tw@REDACTED
Tue Feb 2 18:01:04 CET 2010

Hi, Ulf.

The first message sent out from the C program is fed in stderr and would not
be caught by the Erlang program. In unixy system the "hello world ..."
string is printed when the Erlang process call and execute the C program,
while the later one puts those messages in stderr as representing an error
message. And in Windows those error messages are not showed when the C
program puts them into stderr.

I think that the Erlang implementation in Windows does not open as port as
direct executing it. To execute you codes in Windows, I've modified them
with another open_port statement:

Port = open_port({spawn, "main.exe"}, [{packet,1}]),

instead of the original one,

Port = open_port({spawn_executable, "./main"}, [{packet, 1}]),

and I think that it is different between open_port with spawn and one with
spawn_executable. Do you agree with me?