[erlang-questions] CORBA recursive types

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Tue Dec 21 16:54:12 CET 2010

Hi!

I'd like to quote Mark Twain:

  - "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated!"

Orber/CORBA is very much alive and kicking, but you probably see it more
often in Telco OaM apps (Google for - 3gpp CORBA). Since these are based
on standard IDL API:s, the need for adding support for some types isn't
that great.

It should be rather straight forward to add valuetype. I.e. mimic
interface inheritance. The TypeCode struct member list in the genrated
Derived.erl module should contain the atom 'Base', so that that module's
tc() function would be invoked/used when decoding/encoding an instance of
Derived. The IFR also needs to be updated (the Light version is
sufficient) since valuetype is a new data type. This means that there are
some other modules that must be updated besides those in the git commit.

It would be interesting to hear about the major obstacle you think
valuetype would solve.

Niclas E @ Erlang/OTP