[erlang-questions] Speaking of comments

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Mon Dec 20 19:16:23 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 17/12/2010, at 7:39 PM, Edmond Begumisa wrote:
> >> Well, you _could_ use NuWeb, or NoWeb, or FunnelWeb, and add whatever
> annotations you like.
> >>

> > I've had a look. I like these tools. What I don't like is having to go
> through a separate generation step to use their output. I think it would be
> useful to have these sort of rich annotations for *consumption* in
> Editors/IDEs. To be able to both edit and view them while coding.

The point of those tools is that the code you write can be in any order,
specifically the order best suited for exposition.

The likes of JavaDoc and Doxygen essentially killed any attempts at getting
decent Literate Programming tools. This, together with the fact that you
cannot simply go and debug your code using trial and error in the IDE (which
appears to be the crack cocaine for programmers) means that LP will never
take off.

It'll remain something for devotees.

Robby