[erlang-questions] Speaking of comments

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta@REDACTED
Mon Dec 13 09:34:36 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Edmond Begumisa <ebegumisa@REDACTED
> wrote:

> I've thought -- now and then, in the back of my mind -- about removing
> comments from actual source all-together (for all languages) and instead,
> putting them in companion files that the editor lines up side-by-side. More
> like annotating than just traditional commenting.

It's an interesting thought, as it removes clutter -- especially so for a
programmer who is already well versed with the code.
Most modern editors have features allowing the view to show all comments
collapsed, expanded, and some even done so selectively.

> Has this sort of thing been done before? Is there a particular editor that
> can give me this out of the box? (I admittedly haven't explored a large
> number of editors)
>
> Using Erlang as an example, I've secretly wanted something like...
>
> foo.erl
> foo.cts

Challenge would be to ensure 100% (fail-proof) lock-step update of the .erl
and .cts files in VCS... ideally triggered from a single command.