[erlang-questions] Erlang Intro/Evangelism Presentation -- Starbucks!

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri Dec 17 13:48:10 CET 2010

MESSAGE-PASSING @ STARBUCKS

"... I started to think about how Starbucks processes drink orders.
Starbucks, like most other businesses is primarily interested in
maximizing throughput of orders. More orders equals more revenue. As a
result they use asynchronous processing ..."

"... we can see that the real world is often asynchronous. Our daily lives
consists of many coordinated, but asynchronous interactions...
asynchronous messaging architecture can often be a natural way to model
these types of interactions... also means that often we can look at daily
life to help design successful messaging solutions ..."*

http://www.eaipatterns.com/ramblings/18_starbucks.html

I hope I'm not too late with this, but I really liked this old article by
Google's Gregor Hohpe on asynchronous message passing. He wasn't talking
explicitly about Erlang but the content should resonate instantaneously
with Erlang programmers while at the same time being insightful for
non-Erlangers. You might want to reference a few of his well-worded
analogies for evangelising some of the core ideas built into Erlang.

*Joe Armstrong made a similar compelling argument at the beginning of his
book. As a relatively new Erlang programmer myself, _THIS_ is the main
line of argument that convinced me to try out the Erlang environment.
Particularly the implications on concurrency which I had struggled with in
other environments (in retrospect, it was because those environments
didn't have these ideas built-in or actively encouraged -- I've found
Erlang does a lot of hand-holding to make sure you do the sane thing in
order to avoid painting yourself into a corner -- something you could
emphasise in your presentation.)

- Edmond -