[erlang-questions] guard expression restriction

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Dec 1 16:35:10 CET 2010

True, but there are related discussions, e.g. about a real
syntax for match specifications, parameterised selective receive,
abstract patterns, etc. - merely implementing user-defined guards
with some clever code rewrites in the compiler would not do much
to address the Bigger Picture (™).

IOW, lack of user-defined guards is a minor nuisance, but solving one
or all of the above could enable new approaches and/or significantly
improve analysis of the code*.

BR,
Ulf W

* Dialyzer, for example, knows little of match specifications, as they
are often indistinguishable from data.