[erlang-questions] dialyzer: user-defined types just synonyms?

Dmitry Belyaev rumata-estor@REDACTED
Thu Apr 22 17:13:17 CEST 2010

I saw those options already but they don't do what I'd like to see.

I have very complex system. And I am _heavily_ refactoring it. And
thought dialyzer would be of great help for me.
Now I see many functions that long ago had (and may will have in the
future) wider result type than now dialyzer infers. I get many messages
like those (currently I grep them from output):

.*: The pattern .* can never match since previous clauses completely
covered the type .*
.*: The pattern .* can never match the type .*
.*: The variable .* can never match since previous clauses completely
covered the type .*

I don't want to change this code (it may be needed in future). I'd
better make result type of function wider, so dialyzer won't warn about
superflous (by this moment) code.