[erlang-questions] Re: Process Dictionary vs Proplist in Web Frameworks

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Thu Oct 29 23:12:42 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Steve Davis <steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 6:39 am, Geoff Cant <n...@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> > Good erlang code does not use the process dictionary.
>
> Note that both gen_server and wx libraries make use of the PD.

As does Yaws. The fact that a new process spawned by a request handler
process can't access the Yaws data stored in the request handler process's
dictionary sometimes comes up as an issue, but all in all it's not a
frequent problem. Still, Klacke or I will soon be adding a function to Yaws
to copy the necessary data into the process dictionary of a new process to
allow users to avoid this problem, but again, from what I've seen the
problem doesn't come up all that often in practice.

--steve