[erlang-questions] newbie needing help getting started

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sat Oct 10 21:59:19 CEST 2009

I'm puzzled by your questions - you souldn't be having these kind of problems.

You say "I'm following THE tutorial" - but there are several - which
tutorial are you following?

There are several tutorials on the net  - if you type in
*exactly* what they say from the beginning you shouldn't have the kind
of problems
you are running into. It would be helpful to know which so the author can
fix the text to prevent the kind of problem you are experiencing.

Two good places to start are

http://www.erlang.org/download/getting_started-5.4.pdf
http://learnyousomeerlang.com/starting-out#the-shell

It's important not to "jump in at the middle" - because the stuff like
"end every command
with dot whitespace" is usually explained near the start of the
tutorial and is easily
missed.

Have fun and don't give up quietly if you get stuck - ask the list!

/Joe