[erlang-questions] PDF reports from Mnesia: Erlguten and XMerL?

Jayson Vantuyl kagato@REDACTED
Fri Oct 9 16:35:31 CEST 2009

To throw one more hack on the pile, I've found Apache FOP (http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/
) to be pretty decent.

Basically, you generate XSL-FO (originally the output format for
XSLT).  It can easily create PDFs reproducibly, and is arguably easier
to deploy that TeX for that purpose.  Its big wins are that it
complies with a fairly unambiguous standard, is rock-solid, doesn't
require a windowing system, and is maintained.  About the only
drawback is that the stable version only processes one document per
invocation (which can be quite slow).  It's pretty trivial to wrap it
in some Java, if you have the stomach for it.

Of course, you probably still don't enjoy generating XML in Erlang,
but you might be able to write your templates in some sort of
intermediate template language.  If I was doing this today, I'd
probably suggest Mustache (http://github.com/defunkt/mustache).

Good luck!