[erlang-questions] why with Linux

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Thu Nov 19 01:31:08 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM, NavTux <navaneethanit@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi Erlangies,
>
>           In my previous post i had come to know that there is a
> difference to use erlang in windows rather than Linux peculiarly
> ubuntu,Here I should come to know that In what way which occurs?
>
>         I mean there are all IDE s are available both of
> them,particularly Is any problem with windows related with erlang?
> then

I'm not aware of any major Erlang/Windows incompatibility issues, but
I'm not spending *any* time on Windows with Erlang...

This is because it's just a lot less painful for me to use Linux...

This is mainly because of the widespread use of Windows incompatible
makefiles in Erlang projects. In short, Windows is not a first-class
citizen in the Erlang community. Or put more directly -- Windows
requires an investment that most Erlang projects aren't willing to
make. There are no doubt exceptions that I'm unaware of.

I do know some hard core Erlang developers that use Windows to write
code, but do no use Windows for end-to-end builds.

The Eclipse plugin (erlide) could give some legs to Erlang development
on Windows.

I'm a big fan of taking the "path of least resistance" in tools -- I
suspect you'll find that Windows introduces enough friction to your
productivity that you might consider moving your dev environment to
Linux.

Any Windows champions want to take a crack at this? :)