No subject

Michael Turner leap@REDACTED
Wed Nov 18 11:10:50 CET 2009

Some years ago, I attended a talk by Doug Clark about upcall
implementations of IP.  He stressed that the most important numbers you
should know, when going into optimization of protocols at that level,
were context-switch times and memory-copy times.  Brutally basic
operations, but both so important and frequent that they enjoy some
degree of instruction-set-level support in any decent architecture.  In
some ways, context-switch costs are dominated by memory-copy times  --
saving current state in memory, restoring interrupted state from memory
-- so in a way, it almost comes down to the cost of copying.  Quicksort
is great, if you can do it in-place.  But if you have to do O(n log n)
copies of the data, well ....

The discussion here reminds me that issues like these are still important
in optimization.  Which means you should always be revisiting the
question: how important is optimization?

The last time I had any serious issue involving quicksort, it was because
a junior software engineer, not realizing there was a UNIX library
function qsort(3), had translated some Pascal textbook quicksort to C.
Not being very expert in C, he'd written unportable code, which
segfaulted on a new platform.  Upon investigating the issue, I
discovered two things:

 (1) I could replace his two-dozen-lines-or-so lines of quicksort
implementation/binary-search-lookup with just two lines, using library
calls, BUT --

 (2) the array he was sorting wasn't worth sorting anyway, because in
real-world situations, nobody expected the list to get more than four or
five items deep.  Linear search of an unsorted array would have been
faster than binary search on any sorted one, even without an unrolled
loop or sentinel.

He'd actually slowed down the system (slightly), he had taken time to
implement this "pessimization" (expensive), and he had made systems
crash (more expensive still), which required that somebody (me) debug
his code (which was even more expensive than his original
reimplementation of quicksort, since he was a junior employee and I was
a contractor working at a higher hourly rate.)

I really wish I was making this story up, but it did happen.  Premature
optimization truly is the root of all evil.  Don't get me wrong, I love
that Erlang two-liner version of quicksort.  But it would be a service
to the world if, in future editions of books and documents mentioning
it, there was also a footnote pointing out that people should use
quicksort as an optimization, only if necessary, and that Erlang will
tend to execute this particular quicksort rather suboptimally.  The cool
thing about the two-liner is that it's a surprisingly clear expression
of sorting, not that it's a good implementation in any other respect.

-michael turner