[erlang-questions] Multicast UDP sending question

Jarrod Roberson jarrod@REDACTED
Tue Nov 17 15:45:09 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Valentin Micic <v@REDACTED>wrote:

> You cannot open the same UDP port twice (or, shall I say -- bound the same
> UDP port to two different sockets). The story about N, N+1 port as well as
> explanation indicated that this is an Erlang restriction due to the socket
> library used is - well... pure fiction.

thanks for the clarification. I am not sure how the Erlang internals work.
Can you explain what {reuseaddr,true} does then, if not bind the same UDP
port to multiple sockets.
There are LOTS of applications on a OSX that all bind to 224.0.0.251:5353,
is there a semantic different I am missing.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this.