[erlang-questions] Multicast UDP sending question

Valentin Micic v@REDACTED
Tue Nov 17 15:15:14 CET 2009

You cannot open the same UDP port twice (or, shall I say -- bound the same
UDP port to two different sockets). The story about N, N+1 port as well as
explanation indicated that this is an Erlang restriction due to the socket
library used is - well... pure fiction.

I haven't dealt with multicast recently, but as far as I remember you do not
have to do anything special to be able to send to a multicast address -- any
standard UDP socket would do; you just need to reference the multicast
address as a destination IP address in sendto call.
OTOH, if you want to receive multicast traffic you would have to add
membership -- this causes local MAC layer to assume additional link address,
so it can receive such a packet from the wire (*)

V/

(*) If you sending a packet from the same UDP socket that holds membership
to a multicast group to which you're sending to, such packet should be
received by a sending socket as well.