[erlang-questions] Stand alone erlang deployment

Jose Castro idiay_tuanis@REDACTED
Thu Nov 12 20:08:37 CET 2009

Thanks for all the great info from everybody. I'm happy to announce that Erlang is the number one contender now, since the current perl libraries for distributed computing are not giving the expected performance.

The issue now is security, with reltool everything works fine, but even on a simple hello world, the reltool deployment allows me to run from the erlang shell something like: os:cmd("whatever!!").

Is there a way to inhibit this behaviour?

Jose

________________________________
De: Håkan Mattsson <hawk.mattsson@REDACTED>
Para: Jose Castro <idiay_tuanis@REDACTED>
CC: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Enviado: vie,6 noviembre, 2009 04:59
Asunto: Re: [erlang-questions] Stand alone erlang deployment

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Jose Castro <idiay_tuanis@REDACTED> wrote:

> ideally the install should copy a file/directory in the machine,
> create an icon for clicking, and be up and running WITHOUT install.

Besides the icon stuff, you can do this with Reltool.

> Stand Alone Erlang is old, and reltool creates a minimal install, but
> an install just the same. Am I correct in this? I know there has to be
> a way, but for the company it's desireable for it to be simple.

When you generate a target system with Reltool it will by default not
need any installation script to be run. You can just copy the files to
the new location and start the VM.

If someone by some obscure reason wants to have the old behavior
(with a mandatory installation script) it can still be achieved by setting
the Reltool parameter relocatable to false when the target system is
generated.

/Håkan
---
Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)