[erlang-questions] Why Beam.smp crashes when memory is over?

Tony Arcieri tony@REDACTED
Mon Nov 9 00:25:17 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Jayson Vantuyl <kagato@REDACTED> wrote:

> In general, I believe the heartbeat functionality (i.e. erl -heart) is
> supposed to handle this by letting it crash and restarting the whole
> application.

Yes, the design philosophy of Erlang is that your application should be
stateless aside from things residing in dets tables or other external,
stateful resources.

Following the fail early, fail often approach, Erlang recovers from an out
of memory condition by crashing the entire Erlang intrepreter, restarting it
via heartbeat, and reloading your application.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh/Nagravision