erlang for programming a text editor

Ted Henry tedhenry10@REDACTED
Sun Nov 1 06:31:27 CET 2009

With 100 core chips probably coming to desktop computers in the near future,
I wonder about writing a multiprocess vi-like or emacs-like text editor
(probably more emacs-like in implementation.) Sometimes single threaded
editors really bog down when searching multiple files, syntax highlighting
multiple files. I'm not that knowledgeable in the Erlang world. It seems
like Erlang's fault tolerance and ability to upgrade code without restarting
would not be big advantages for a text editor. Also a text editor isn't
usually distributed across multiple physical machines. I think the main
advantage would be Erlang's processes for concurrency. Would Erlang offer a
good advantage over a programming language with software transactional
memory (e.g. Haskell, Clojure)? Would *you* use Erlang to program a text
editor or desktop application?

Very interested to read your thoughts.

Ted