[erlang-questions] include_lib and archives?

Keith Irwin keith.irwin@REDACTED
Sun May 24 23:38:02 CEST 2009

Folks--
I've worked out how to load code from *.ez files. The zip archive is
arranged like:

   mylib/ebin/whatever.beam
   mylib/include/whatever.hrl

If I set ERL_LIBS to point to the directory containing the *.ez file, it's
properly loaded on my code path, and I can compile and make use of the
modules in the library.

So far, so good.

The problem is that I can't use header files located inside the *.ez file.

With:

  -include_lib("mylib/include/whatever.hrl").

the compiler can't find the file, even if the *.ez is on the code path.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is it by design that header files must
reside OUTSIDE the compressed archive?

I suppose it doesn't do much good for the hrl files to be inside an archive
where you can't see them, but I'm interested in it being possible if only to
make the distribution of code libraries a little bit easier (similar to how
easy it is to ship JAR files around).

Keith