[erlang-questions] Web frameworks

Carl McDade carlmcdade@REDACTED
Sat May 2 07:34:26 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Vikrant <vikrant.patil@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>     I want to start using erlang and yaws for web development. I would like
> to know your suggestion on which web frameworks are available in erlang. My
> attempt to start using mochiweb and erlyweb has already failed. It ends with
> erlang error dump as given below...
>
> vikrant@REDACTED:~/programming/erlang/myapp$ ./start-dev.sh
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.3 [source] [64-bit] [smp:2]
> [async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]
>

> =PROGRESS REPORT==== 2-May-2009::08:50:59 ===
>           supervisor: {local,sasl_safe_sup}
>              started: [{pid,<0.34.0>},
>                        {name,alarm_handler},
>                        {mfa,{alarm_handler,start_link,[]}},
>                        {restart_type,permanent},
>                        {shutdown,2000},
>                        {child_type,worker}]
>
> =PROGRESS REPORT==== 2-May-2009::08:50:59 ===
>           supervisor: {local,sasl_safe_sup}
>              started: [{pid,<0.35.0>},
>                        {name,overload},
>                        {mfa,{overload,start_link,[]}},
>                        {restart_type,permanent},
>                        {shutdown,2000},
>                        {child_type,worker}]
>
> =PROGRESS REPORT==== 2-May-2009::08:50:59 ===
>           supervisor: {local,sasl_sup}
>              started: [{pid,<0.33.0>},
>                        {name,sasl_safe_sup},
>                        {mfa,
>                            {supervisor,start_link,
>                                [{local,sasl_safe_sup},sasl,safe]}},
>                        {restart_type,permanent},
>                        {shutdown,infinity},
>                        {child_type,supervisor}]
>
> =PROGRESS REPORT==== 2-May-2009::08:50:59 ===
>           supervisor: {local,sasl_sup}
>              started: [{pid,<0.36.0>},
>                        {name,release_handler},
>                        {mfa,{release_handler,start_link,[]}},
>                        {restart_type,permanent},
>                        {shutdown,2000},
>                        {child_type,worker}]
>
> =PROGRESS REPORT==== 2-May-2009::08:50:59 ===
>          application: sasl
>           started_at: nonode@REDACTED
>
> =PROGRESS REPORT==== 2-May-2009::08:51:00 ===
>           supervisor: {local,kernel_safe_sup}
>              started: [{pid,<0.41.0>},
>                        {name,timer_server},
>                        {mfa,{timer,start_link,[]}},
>                        {restart_type,permanent},
>                        {shutdown,1000},
>                        {child_type,worker}]
> {"init terminating in
> do_boot",{undef,[{myapp,start,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}
>
> Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
> init terminating in do_boot ()
>
> I appreciate any help in getting me started with even simplest "hello
> world" webapp!
>
> Regards,
> Vikrant

Hi,

Just starting out with Erlang myself.

I wrote a tutorial on how to get started by using the examples website that
comes with the download. It uses built-in inets webserver. This will give
you a taste of things in a short time and give you the "Hello world" with a
useful set up for building a site.

Getting started with Erlang for the web in 5
minutes<http://www.hiveminds.co.uk/?p=35833>

I recommend that you try Erlang-web also as it is the easiest and most well
documented of them all. After you get the 5 minute Inets tutorial done you
can dive right into Erlang-web from there.

--
Carl McDade
Content Management Systems Consultant