[erlang-questions] Native code for Windows/MacOS?

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Tue Jun 30 15:32:14 CEST 2009

Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Joel Reymont<joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
>> On Jun 30, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Kostis Sagonas wrote:
>>
>>> Since, as it appears from the post above, HiPE works OK when Xcode is
>>> installed if one uses --enable-hipe,
>> It doesn't or doesn't always. Richard O'Keefe had to install mach override
>> and I wasn't able to build at all. I don't know how it can possibly work for
>> Tuncer.
>
> It may very well be that the repl says HiPE is enabled but is not going to work
> if I try to use it at runtime. Need to test that.

I somehow doubt that HiPE says enabled without actually being so.
One easy way to test that is to fire up erl and issue the following command:

   1> hipe:c(lists, [verbose]).

If you see something like:

   <HiPE (v 3.7.2)> Compiling: lists
   <HiPE (v 3.7.2)> Options: [verbose,load,icode_ssa_const_prop,...].
   <HiPE (v 3.7.2)> Compiling {lists,'-concat/1-fun-0-',1}
   <HiPE (v 3.7.2)> Compiling {lists,'-filter/2-lc$^0/1-0-',2}
   <HiPE (v 3.7.2)> Compiling {lists,module_info,1}
   <HiPE (v 3.7.2)> Compiling {lists,module_info,0}
   <HiPE (v 3.7.2)> Compiling {lists,rufmerge2_2,6}
   {ok,lists}

The hipe compiler is working OK.  For extra sanity, repeat the previous
command and if it crashes with a message:

   =ERROR REPORT==== 30-Jun-2009::16:29:05 ===
   Module lists must be purged before loading

then you can be pretty sure that things are *really* working as they
should.  (This is not a joke.)

Kostis