[erlang-questions] Native code for Windows/MacOS?

Illo de' Illis illo@REDACTED
Tue Jun 30 12:58:40 CEST 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Joel Reymont<joelr1@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 30, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Kostis Sagonas wrote:
>>
>>> Since, as it appears from the post above, HiPE works OK when Xcode
>>> is
>>> installed if one uses --enable-hipe,
>>
>> It doesn't or doesn't always. Richard O'Keefe had to install mach
>> override
>> and I wasn't able to build at all. I don't know how it can possibly
>> work for
>> Tuncer.
>
> It may very well be that the repl says HiPE is enabled but is not
> going to work
> if I try to use it at runtime. Need to test that.

Hello there!

I've been using HiPE on a couple of x86 Mac machines (Core 2 Duo)
running OSX Leopard for three months getting substantial benefits in
terms of speed. All I did was compile the Erlang/OTP source package
with --enable-hipe (after installing the apple developer SDK of
course), and have my Erlang sources compiled with +native +'{hipe,
[verbose, o2]}'. I've been trying with both native and beam
compilation, and the mean performance gain has been of about 25% when
running native code. Still I cannot say anything in terms of overall
stability since the tests have been performed on my sources only and
without any deeper understanding of the internals of the HiPE-
generated code.

Ciao,
Illo.