[erlang-questions] Lost Mnesia Fragments

Evans, Matthew mevans@REDACTED
Thu Jun 18 19:25:34 CEST 2009

Thanks,

I tried that, and it almost worked. Since the other node is down I still had issues with the schema. After a bit of searching I found this:

mnesia_schema:schema_transaction(fun() -> mnesia_schema:delete_cstruct(stuff_frag7,mnesia:table_info(stuff_frag7,cstruct)) end).

Where stuff_frag7 is the fragment that is lost.

Then you can try:

(fun (B, From, To) -> mnesia_schema:schema_transaction (fun () -> mnesia_schema:do_create_table (erlang:setelement (2, mnesia:table_info (list_to_atom (atom_to_list (B) ++ "_frag" ++ integer_to_list (From)), cstruct), list_to_atom (atom_to_list (B) ++ "_frag" ++ integer_to_list (To)))) end) end) (stuff, 8, 7).

Where 8 is the fragment you want to clone.

Seemed to work ok.

-----Original Message-----
From: erlang-questions@REDACTED [mailto:erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Paul Mineiro
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:29 PM
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Lost Mnesia Fragments

I have on rare occasion run into this problem.  Basically, mnesia cannot
load the table because there are no active replicas available, so you
get stuck until you make a copy available.  You can find problem tables
like this:

[ L || T <- mnesia:system_info (tables), { timeout, [ L ] }  <- [ mnesia:wait_for_tables ([ T ], 1) ] ].

(if your mnesia is booting up, this will return alot of false positives,
but if it's been running a while, this command should return the empty
list if things are hunky dory).

The best option is to get the table fragment back up by getting the node
it was on back up.  If that's not an option ...

I think for ram tables you could optimistically try to add another
table copy on another node and see if that works.   I think for non-ram
tables the rules are different.  My memory is unclear on that, we use
disk (tcerl) tables alot so in the rare time when this happens I do evil
under the hood stuff to make it work.  I checked my wiki page of mnesia
hacks and saw this

"Example, cloning frag6 to frag7 because frag7 was nuked. "

(fun (B, From, To) -> mnesia_schema:schema_transaction (fun () -> mnesia_schema:do_create_table (erlang:setelement (2, mnesia:table_info (list_to_atom (atom_to_list (B) ++ "_frag" ++ integer_to_list (From)), cstruct), list_to_atom (atom_to_list (B) ++ "_frag" ++ integer_to_list (To)))) end) end) (clickdb, 6, 7).

YMMV.  Scary?  yes.  Also it is hopefully obvious that you are not
recovering the data from that fragment with this operation, just getting
the schema happy.

If you have more table copies, then you are less likely to get into this
mess in the first place.  The config you have below has n_disc_copies and
n_disc_only_copies set to zero, so you are defaulting to { n_ram_copies,
1 }, which means you have no rendundancy.

Cheers,

-- p