Ulf Wiger on Erlang on Multicore, London User Group Meeting 16/6

Francesco Cesarini (Erlang Training and Consulting) francesco@REDACTED
Fri Jun 12 14:08:22 CEST 2009

Please note that if you are interested in receiving these user group
meeting announcments, you should subscribe to the Erlang London user
group mailing list: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/erlang-london/ as
we are trying to reduce the traffic on the erlang-questions list and do
not always announce talks on it.

Join us for an Erlang London User Group meeting on Tuesday the 16th of
June, where Ulf Wiger, Erlang Training and Consulting's newly appointed
CTO will talk about Erlang Programming for Multicore, followed by beer,
softdrinks and snacks. Be there at 18.00 for an 18.30 start. In order to
attend this free event, you have to register. Registering allows us to
plan refreshments accordingly, provide security with a list of names and
ensure we have enough space. Register and find directions on our site:

http://www.erlang-consulting.com/erlang/events.html#92

*Abstract:*With the increasing pressure to migrate to multicore
architectures, more and more programmers take an interest in Erlang,
with its reputation for near-painless scalability. In this session, we
will cover examples of typical Erlang programs, studying which patterns
scale well on multicore, and which ones do not. We also look at how to
profile parallel applications, how to ensure their correct behaviour,
and how to debug them.

*Biography:*Ulf Wiger became one of the first commercial users of Erlang
(certainly the first in North America) when he bought a license in 1993.
At the time, he was busy designing disaster response systems in Alaska.
In 1996, he joined Ericsson and became Chief Designer of the AXD 301
development. At nearly 2 million lines of Erlang code, AXD 301 is the
most complex system ever built in Erlang, and probably the most complex
commercial system built in any functional language. In recent years, Ulf
has been involved in several products based on the AXD 301 architecture,
and has been an active member of the Open Source Erlang community. In
February 2009, Ulf began his new job as CTO of Erlang Training and
Consulting Ltd.

Hope to see you there,
Francesco