[erlang-questions] Is ets:insert/2 (with multiple objects) isolated with respect to concurrent readers?

Chris Newcombe chris.newcombe@REDACTED
Thu Jul 2 18:40:58 CEST 2009

Very sorry -- I somehow managed to get gmail to send an incomplete
message unintentionally

The unfinished part was:,

> e.g. Atomic+isolated operations on multiple objects are really
> emulating simple transactions.  What kind of isolation guarantee is
> offered?
>   - 'serializable' isolation would

I was about to say that to achieve full 'serializable' isolation may
require locking keys/objects that are currently absent (but which will
be inserted by the current insert operation).
(This is analogous to the 'phantom rows' problem in RDBMs).
i.e. It requires two-pass locking; accumulate all necessary locks,
including on the logical slots for any keys that are to be created.
If you don't do this then concurrent multi-object writes may appear to
be interleaved (not serializable) after the fact.
(Of course, acquiring a table-level lock achieves this but is
undesirable in other ways.)

There are of course other standard serialization levels to choose
from, e.g. 'repeatable-read'.

So whichever type of isolation you choose to support for ETS, it may
help users if the documentation describes it in standard vocabulary
(assuming one of the standard levels matches the semantics of ETS.)

Apologies again for the earlier incomplete message.

regards,

Chris