[erlang-questions] Is ets:insert/2 (with multiple objects) isolated with respect to concurrent readers?

Chris Newcombe chris.newcombe@REDACTED
Thu Jul 2 17:02:57 CEST 2009

>>Don't you think it's enough if stated about {write_concurrency,bool()} that is does
not break any semantic promises about atomicy and isolation. Maybe
note that operations
that makes such promises will gain less (or nothing) from
{write_concurrency,true}.

Yes, that would be fine IMO.

> I don't think we should need to describe the current internal locking
> strategy.

Sorry, I wasn't more clear.   I wasn't advocating exposing/documenting
implementation details -- I realize that you need as much
implementation freedom as possible.
I was trying to show that some examples of potential implementation
strategies might help users understand what is not guaranteed.
But it was a bad suggestion -- it would be better to simply refer
indirectly to the API semantics documented elsewhere, as you say.

> Also, any guarantees about atomicy and isolation only applies to the data
> that the function is operating on.

Yes.  IMO the API semantics should describe this.  However, I think
you need more detail.
e.g. Atomic+isolated operations on multiple objects are really
emulating simple transactions.  What kind of isolation guarantee is
offered?
   - 'serializable' isolation would