[erlang-questions] HTTP requests and the meaning of eaddrinuse

Johnny Billquist bqt@REDACTED
Fri Jan 30 21:42:17 CET 2009

Sverker Eriksson wrote:
> Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> Sverker Eriksson wrote:
>>> The internal TIME_WAIT state of the TCP protocol may cause exhaustion
>>> of port numbers even though the file descriptor limit is much lower
>>> than 65536. Use the netstat command tool to view lingering
>>> connections in TIME_WAIT state.
>> True, if the connections aren't closed properly.
> Actually, kind of the opposite. The peer that actively closes the
> connection by calling close() will cause its "socket" into TIME_WAIT.
> It's like a quarantine to avoid late arriving packets of the old
> connection from being confused with a new connection using the same
> port. A major flaw of TCP if you ask me.

Yes. The first side to do a close will end up in TIME_WAIT. The other
side will never. You're right.

>> But yes, that could be it. I wonder if eaddrinuse really is returned
>> in that case. [...]
> I experienced this some time ago writing a benchmark on Linux. I'm quite
> sure it was eaddrinuse that I got when the port numbers where exhausted.

Hmm. Not a good error code in that case (in my opinion). I should
probably check if other systems apart from Linux do that... Anyone know?

	Johnny

email: bqt@REDACTED             ||  Reading murder books