[erlang-questions] Can Erlang messages be delivered out of order?

Sergey S ad.sergey@REDACTED
Sun Jan 25 17:06:58 CET 2009

Hello.

> If you want test it, here is example of testing module code:

Thanks for your answer.

But some hours ago I was trying to use a similar tests to ensure that
there is no possibility of "out of order" delivery. I think tests like
that are useful, but don't make you actually sure that results you've
taken will always be the same  (i.e. with a probability of 100%).

* Suppose that we haven't read how message passing is implemented and
what Erlang runtime does guarantee *

First message has more probability to be delivered first, just because
it was sent earlier. Using the same argument we can explain why the
second message was delivered before third one in our test.

There is only one way to ensure - know what runtime system does
guarantee about that.

--
Sergey