[erlang-questions] gen_tcp:transfer_ownership of socket to another node?

Thijs Terlouw thijsterlouw@REDACTED
Sat Jan 24 06:08:24 CET 2009

Tony Rogvall-2 wrote:

> Here is the answer ;-)
> I other words it is not allowed.
> /Tony

Thanks. In the meantime I also tried it and I reached the same conclusion. I
started two different nodes, one running a server program and one running a
client. Then in the server program I spawned a new process to run on the
client node and handed the control over to that process. This all worked
fine. In the spawned process I verified the node() and then tried to do
socket operations, but got the badarg error.

So it seems it is allowed to change the controlling_process to a process on
a different node. But on that node, you cannot do anything with the socket
(get badarg error). When you stay on the same node, everything works as
expected.

This should be clarified in the documentation I think.