[erlang-questions] run-time record limitations

Adam Lindberg adam@REDACTED
Fri Jan 16 12:49:29 CET 2009

Hi,

Unfortunately you cannot get away from the fact that records have to be defined at compile time. You can do some trickery on records based on the fact that they really are ordered tuples where the first element is the record name as an atom. What you cannot do is change the order of keys or the length of a record, this will make all code referencing that record consider it to be another record or just an anonymous tuple.

An example of record mangling, which might give you some ideas: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/62245/merging-records-for-mnesia

Cheers,
Adam