[erlang-questions] To what VxWorks platforms has Erlang been ported?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Tue Jan 13 18:33:07 CET 2009

On Monday, January 12, Ed Korsberg wrote:
> I read the Erlang has been ported at one time to WindRiver's VxWorks.
> However to what hardware platform/processor has this been ported to?

There are other people who know far more about this than I do, but
since there's been no answer from them (yet?), here's what I know:

I'm fairly sure it Erlang ran (runs, those devices are almost certainly
still in use) on VxWorks on the Motorola 68360.

I also think it's also used on Motorola's PPC 603 and MPC 860 CPUs.

> We are currently using VxWorks 6.6 for ARM9 and XScale processors.
> We also have it for Freescale Coldfire MCF5329.
> I rather doubt Erlang has been ported to these variations of the VxWorks OS
> but I thought I would ask anyway.

Not that I'm aware of, but other people know more.

> How would someone proceed in porting Erlang to a new platform?

For a new CPU using linux, there's a rough note here:

  http://www.trapexit.org/Cross_compiling

For VxWorks, I'd start off looking for the string 'vxworks' in 'otp_build'
in the top of the tree.

Hope this helps. I haven't used Erlang on VxWorks for about a decade,
though I still get phantom pains in my scarred limbs every time someone
reminds me of VxWorks. Though I hear it has memory protection these days.

Matt