[erlang-questions] Question about erlang history at Ericsson

Francesco Cesarini (Erlang Training and Consulting) francesco@REDACTED
Tue Jan 13 16:48:21 CET 2009

One of the things which is not obvious from this thread are the
iterative cycles Erlang went through when it was invented. The CS lab
first spent a few years prototyping telecom applications with existing
languages (1985). Conclusion was that many had great features, but no
one language encompassed them all... So they decided to invent their
own,  spending a few years prototyping telecom applications fine tuning
the language in every iteration.  When they felt comfortable with it,
they got the first external users to evaluate it (1987). And from there,
it had even more iterations (in the process, resulting in Mike Williams
writing the first C based virtual machine in 1991). A year after the the
first C based VM came out (The first one was in Prolog), a very small
group of developers started using it to build the mobility server
(1992), a product which went live two years later (1994). Feedback from
support issues and further development after the system started selling
was once again fed back to the CS lab, who in 1995 added new features
such as distribution, records, macros, include files, funs and lists
comprehensions. With this level of maturity, the language was now ready
to be used in larger systems and the  AXD301 and  ANX projects became
reality (1995) . In conjunction with them, the CS lab jump started the
OTP project after merging it with a lightweight version of it called
BOS. OTP R1 was released in 1996.

So to say that the technology was unproven is not 100% correct. Maybe it
was not proven in large scale projects, but it certainly was proven and
validated in commercial products Ericsson was selling. This was more
than other languages [which may not be named] who have 9 lives and a
marketing department with generous funds behind them. By 1995, Erlang
Systems (They did Training & Consulting) with a staff of about 25
employees dedicated to supporting Ericsson projects. The OTP department,
as they are usually called, was also created around that time to support
the development of Erlang itself.

More info is also available in the paper wirtten for HOPL:
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Grundutb/Kurser/ppxt/HT2007/general/languages/armstrong-erlang_history.pdf

Francesco (Feeling old but nostalgic :-) )
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com