[erlang-questions] Starting Erlang as a Unix daemon

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Sat Jan 10 04:23:41 CET 2009

Sam,

Actually there are already tools that can help you with this task.

Use run_erl (http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/index.html) in order to
start your node (without providing the -daemon option).  In your shell
script run run_erl as a background task, and use erl_call (from
erl_interface) to attempt connecting to the node or alternatively just
grep the erlang.log.1 (produced by run_erl) for expected successful
startup message.

Lately I've been using this approach to install and run nodes with help
of chkconfig on Linux quite successfully.  The outer shell script is run
as root, and all it does is starting run_erl in the background as a
non-privileged user, detecting its death and restarting the process
using some throttling rate to avoid too frequent restarts in case of bad
configuration or something like that.

We've had some bad experience with the -heart option to erl in
combination with run_erl.  As I recall two issues came up:

1. The later has some race conditions related to signal handling and
calling select().  We are actually running a patched version of run_erl
that fixes the issue.
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-patches/2006-January/000147.html

2. On a few occasions we've seen on a busy node heart missing some
heartbeat replies and killing the monitored node.  Some details on this
can be found here:
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2006-December/024365.html

On the contrary the shell-based startup alternative described above
works pretty stably.

Serge