[erlang-questions] A possible problem with the canonical listener idiom

John Haugeland stonecypher@REDACTED
Thu Jan 1 19:46:44 CET 2009

> +1 to everything Serge says.

Unfortunately, he missed the point: this isn't about flow control, this is
about missing initial packets, and the code he linked to suffers the exact
same defect.

> Also, unless I'm missing something, I
> don't see how the original code can work with active set to anything
> but false anyway, since it never sets the controlling process for the
> connected socket to that of the spawned handler.

Setting inet options should implicitly set the owner process.  (Note that I
said should, not "does": I'm not saying this is correct, I'm saying this is
what I expected.)  My belief in that regard is reinforced by the fact that
the code does work as expected.

However, I will explicitly set the owner process now, both in the blog
example and in the library code.  Thank you for pointing out this problem.