[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

egarrulo egarrulo@REDACTED
Mon Dec 28 00:22:45 CET 2009

2009/12/25 Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED>

> But I do think that refusing to learn and use a language because it doesn't
> have an IDE is rather stupid, it is not really that difficult to do it
> yourself.

*It is* if you are a newbie both at programming and at using related tools.
Unlike some people who call an IDE any editor with syntax-highlighting which
allows you to run a compiler, I call an IDE at least an editor with
syntax-highlighting which allows you to run a compiler *and* single step and
debug your programs at source level.

> Also I tend to be skeptical of "intelligent" systems that try to help me. I
> often find that if such systems don't get it really right they are usually a
> hindrance as you then have to work around them. I have nothing against
> getting help but I prefer its workings to be transparent so you can
> understand what it does and can use it efficiently.

I do agree wholeheartedly (that's why I cannot stand Eclipse). Let's just
not forget we all started bicycling with training wheels, and crawled before
walking (again, that's why I've suggested Emacs as IDE).