[erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Dec 25 01:54:39 CET 2009

2009/12/24 egarrulo <egarrulo@REDACTED>

> 2009/12/22 Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED>
>
> I've programmed Fortran on VAX/VMS, even before I had an Emacs on it.
>> What's
>> the problem?
>>

> Would you throw away all your Emacs goodies and go back to that?
>
> That's the problem.

No, my point was rather that you take what you can get and work it. It
doesn't mean that you can't try and improve your tools, I was a member of a
group who implemented an emacs look-alike for VAX/VMS and Dec-10. But I do
think that refusing to learn and use a language because it doesn't have an
IDE is rather stupid, it is not really that difficult to do it yourself.

Also I tend to be skeptical of "intelligent" systems that try to help me. I
often find that if such systems don't get it really right they are usually a
hindrance as you then have to work around them. I have nothing against
getting help but I prefer its workings to be transparent so you can
understand what it does and can use it efficiently.

Robert

P.S. For a real experience you should try editing lisp without an editor
which knows lisp indentation.