Erlide packageability (was Re: "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or juststupid?)

egarrulo egarrulo@REDACTED
Tue Dec 22 13:37:31 CET 2009

2009/12/22 Michael Turner <leap@REDACTED>

> Of course, I could tell my target audience "Just use your favorite
> editor".

I wouldn't tell a beginner to use an editor to develop anything. A language
lacking an IDE - and by "IDE" I mean an editor with syntax-highlighting and
interaction with language's compiler and source-level debugger, at least -
such language is not worth learning, IMHO. I've done that in the past...
never again.

So I'm wondering: Could Erlide be put together on a one-click install
> CD?  Or even better: a one-click over-the-web install?

Yes, it can. You don't need an install, a (compressed) folder would suffice.
Just setup your Eclipse+Erlide installation, add a JRE and write a shell
script to launch the behemoth. That would be a couple hundreds of megabytes,
but it would work.