[erlang-questions] Imagemagick erlang port

Koener Antoine antoine.koener@REDACTED
Fri Dec 18 18:04:34 CET 2009

Hi,

On Dec 18, 2009, at 17:49 , Senthilkumar Peelikkampatti wrote:

> Hi,
>       I found image magick driver for so many other  languages but
> not able to find one for Erlang :-)
> For those not familiar with ImageMagick, it is image manipulation tool
> which converts one format to another and also does somany other
> things. Moer here http://imagemagick.com/script/index.php.

You should look at
graphic magick

http://www.graphicsmagick.org/benchmarks.html

ImageMagick is full of memory leaks; and performance problems.

> I used this extensively for Captacha and image transformation but with
> script utility and erlang:port_command. But for me, it looks like a
> hack. Has anybody  developed Erlang interface? Anybody interested in

using erlang:port_command is far from a hack; many software are
designed to
be used that way.

It might be a hack whenever you need to transfer massive binary data
with this interface
but while data consists only in simple command lines, you win simple
implementation and
security.
Restarting a port that's closed is trivial.

I use ghostscript for creating pdf png or whatever format it supports
using postcript  as language (generated by erlang)
  and never had any problem with that...