[erlang-questions] OpenDocument Format (ODF)

Dave Pawson dave.pawson@REDACTED
Fri Aug 28 20:46:58 CEST 2009

2009/8/28 Vance Shipley <vances@REDACTED>:
> Is anybody working on generating OpenDocument Format (ODF) in Erlang?
>
> One of my old tricks is to export data in the SYmbolic LinK (SYLK)
> file format as a ready built spreadsheet.  The SYLK format is an
> undocumented early file format from Microsoft which is still supported
> by Microsoft Excel.  It is an ASCII format which isn't too hard to
> understand and easy to produce from Erlang.  Using this I can easily
> generate reports with spreadsheet formatting and rudimentary formulas
> (i.e. column totals).

I've done some work, converting from ODF into other formats.
Unsure about a lesser Office format, since some ODF suites
can import M$ office documents directly.

> I'd like an updated solution which would be better supported and allow
> greater functionality.  It seems that moving to ODF might be the best
> way forward.

ODF is definately easier to generate than M$ office XML

> I haven't tried to grok the ODF syntax for spreadsheets yet, maybe
> it's not that much harder than SYLK.  I though maybe someone else
> might be ahead of me on this though.  How about a language binding
> to the OpenOffice UNO?

UNO? Not heard of that one.
You're basically generating a few xml files then zipping them up.

HTH

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.