[erlang-questions] Handling UTF-8 data when parsing XML using xmerl

Dave Pawson dave.pawson@REDACTED
Wed Aug 19 19:32:47 CEST 2009

2009/8/19 Seth Falcon <seth@REDACTED>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using xmerl to parse Atom feed data and have encountered some
> surprising behavior with respect to how UTF-8 encoded data is handled.

> The approach I took was to use xmerl to parse the entire document, and
> then use xmerl:export_simple/2 on the children of <content> to
> recapture the text.  But in testing with UTF-8 data, I'm finding that
> while xmerl will parse UTF-8 data, it cannot later handle the
> representation it creates when calling xmerl:export_simple.

I'm getting the impression that Erlang is late to the Unicode party.
No encoding param on export?

When will Erlang change to expect Unicode and deal with it internally?
Please.

regards

--
Dave Pawson